netflix

Netflix’s latest true crime explores the awful case of child trafficker Ghislaine Maxwell

‘A socialite, a woman, can be a predator too’

Netflix’s Jeffrey Epstein: Filthy Rich was described as “perversely twisted” by critics, as it took a look into the billionaire sex abuser’s crimes. Now, two years later, the same filmmakers will be telling the story of Ghislaine Maxwell – and how the well-known media personality became his accomplice.

Ghislaine Maxwell: Filthy Rich will explore her infamous trial, which took place in 2021. Epstein took his own life before his case was even presented to a jury – but Maxwell was sentenced to 20 years in prison, as well as a fine of £630,000. Victims of the pair, including those who testified in Maxwell’s trial, will speak in the Netflix doc. Sensationally, it looks like Maxwell and Epstein’s association with Prince Andrew will also be covered.

Filthy Rich will attempt to show “the monster behind the monster” – but what exactly was Maxwell’s relationship with Epstein?

ghislaine maxwell: filthy rich

Photo via Netflix

Ghislaine Maxwell’s dad was British millionaire Robert Maxwell (who, by the way, died in really mysterious circumstances and deserves a true crime of his own). He supposedly introduced his daughter to Jeffrey Epstein in the 1980s, and the two began a relationship which lasted throughout the ’90s.

In 2015, allegations of sex trafficking started to stack up against Maxwell and Epstein – including Virginia Giuffre, who claimed she was trafficked by the pair to Prince Andrew. The case against the Duke of York was later dropped.

By 2021, Maxwell had been involved in nine sex abuse lawsuits. She went into hiding in 2019 – but a year later, she was arrested and charged with enticement of minors, sex trafficking of children, and perjury (lying under oath). She’ll likely be 80 years old before being eligible for parole.

Watch the trailer for Ghislaine Maxwell: Filthy Rich below:

Ghislaine Maxwell: Filthy Rich will be available on Netflix from 25th November. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.