ucu strikes november 2022 university lecturers

University strikes start tomorrow – here’s everything you need to know

Not anooother one

Well, lecturers are going on strike yet agin, and they start next week. Staff at almost every single university in the country are going to be taking part in the Universities and Colleges Union (UCU) strikes for three days in November. They are are campaigning for better pay and pensions, among other things.

Earlier this term, over 70,000 staff at 140 unis voted overwhelmingly to strike. But what exactly is happening? Here’s everything you need to know about the upcoming UCU university staff and lecturers strikes in November 2022:

When are the strikes, and what’s going to happen?

The UCU strikes will be going on for three days – Thursday 24th and Friday 25th of November 2022, and then Wednesday 30th the following week. On the 30th, there will be the “biggest ever” UCU demonstration, in a protest in central London.

UCU’s general secretary Dr Jo Grady said: “We will now plan to deliver the biggest picket lines in UCU history on the 24th and 25th November. On the 30th, we want as many of you as possible to head to London for the biggest ever demonstration of UCU members. We are going to protest ahead of our talks with the employers.”

Staff are also going to be starting ASOS, industrial action short of strike, from Wednesday 23rd November onwards. This is basically just not working beyond their contracts, not rescheduling or sharing materials for lectures or classes that will be cancelled because of the strikes, and not covering for absent colleagues.

Which universities will be striking in November?

Pretty much every uni and higher education institution in the country will be going on strike – except for Nottingham Trent, Birmingham City, and Ruskin College in Oxford.

UCU university staff strikes have been going on for several years now. Last academic year we saw up to 18 days of strike action at over 140 universities. A Tab investigation this summer found Russell Group unis saved £11million in withheld pay whilst lecturers were on strike last university year.

Is this the end of the strikes?

Honestly, who knows. This is just the latest in many, many UCU strikes over recent years. The UCU seem hopeful that this is going to have a different result, but have warned unis to give “a proper offer” or this will just be the start.

Jo Grady said: “Our message during these three days is very clear. Put a proper offer on the table or this is just the start of our fight back. This strike will be like no other we have called before. The ballot was different, the action will be different, the result will be different. The longer the picket line, the shorter the dispute.”

Featured image by Ryan Jenkinson/Story Picture Agency/Shutterstock