All the new filming locations in The crown season five

From London’s West End to a Malibu villa: All the filming locations in The Crown season five

Dodi Fayed’s home was reopened for filming of The Crown

The Crown season five was filmed across a number of stunning locations all over the UK and even overseas! All the major homes of the Royal Family were recreated for the new season, with some making you think they were really filming in and around Buckingham Palace. This season of the crown covers the 1990s, a period the late Queen Elizabeth II called “Annus Horribilis”. The cast and crew managed to truly bring the 1990s for the Royal Family to life with some stunning backdrops. With some of the previous locations from past seasons being used again, here are all the new filming locations used in The Crown season five:

Burghley House

The Crown season five filming locations

via Netflix

Burghley House was used as a stand in for Windsor Castle in The Crown season five. Burghley House is in Lincolnshire and filming took place in october 2021. The fifth season featured the famous Windsor Castle fire, which destroyed 115 rooms, including nine State Rooms. It was fully repaired a few years later at a cost of £36.5 million.

Sant Elm, Mallorca

The Crown season five filming locations

via Netflix

In the first episode, viewers saw Prince Charles and Princess Diana embark on a second honeymoon, with their children William and Harry. The family stayed on the royal yacht Alexandra off Naples and cruised around the Mediterranean. The cast of The Crown actually filmed in Sant Elm in Mallorca, a coastal town in the Balearic Islands of Spain.

London Coliseum

The Crown season five filming locations

via Netflix

The London Coliseum was used in The Crown season five and acted as the Dominion Theatre to recreate the 1995 Royal Variety Performance. In The Crown, the Coliseum is shown in scenes during Princess Diana’s interview with Martin Bashir while it swaps to the Queen and Philip at the Royal Variety Performance.

Cobham Hall School

The Crown season five filming locations

via Netflix

Cobham Hall School in Kent is used as a substitute for Eton College, where Prince William attends in season five. Filming in the Cobham school took place in the courtyard and well as the inside. Winchester College was also used as a location for Eton during the seventh episode of the fifth season.

Lyceum Theatre

via Netflix

The Lyceum Theatre in London was used during the tenth episode of The Crown season five, when Mohamed Al-Fayed and Princess Diana watched a performance of Swan Lake at the Royal Albert Hall. It was Princess Diana’s last public appearance before she died two months later.

Waddesdon Manor

via Netflix

Waddesdon Manor is a National Trust location in Buckinghamshire which is used as The Ritz in Paris, in the Mou Mou episode of The Crown, where Mohamed Al-Fayed makes his offer for The Ritz.

Wellington College

via Netflix

Wellington College substitutes for Kensington Palace during two episodes of The Crown. In the second episode, when Diana greets Andrew Morton, the exterior of Wellington College can be seen.

Dodi’s Paradise Cove Home

via Netflix

Dodi’s Paradise Cove Home was one of the filming locations that was not recreated. Dodi’s Tuscan villa in Malibu was reopened for the filming of the fifth season of The Crown. According to Homes and Gardens, the villa has “one reception room and several bedrooms on the ground floor, as well as an open-plan kitchen that opens up to an outdoor dining terrace and pool area. The modern living room with limestone fireplace seems the foil of the traditional marble of English palaces.”

Forster Square and Canal Road in Bradford

via Netflix

The Bradford Telegraph and Argus reported that the streets around Forster Square and Canal Road in Bradford “were transformed into 1990s Moscow” for the fifth season of The Crown. According to the Telegraph and Argus, “Russian signs were placed on buildings and streets, vintage cars were brought in and props such as old telephone boxes were installed.”

The Crown season five is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.