My Policeman plot

My Policeman has just dropped, so here’s what the heartbreaking movie is actually about

It’s been 10 years since the book was first released!

Minor spoilers ahead!!

My Policeman is the new romantic drama starring Harry Styles and Emma Corrin which has finally dropped on Amazon. The movie tells the love story of Tom and Marion, and also Tom and Patrick and how eventually everything comes crashing down. The movie has been in the works for a while and is now finally available for everyone to see. My Policeman hasn’t had any of the drama that Harry Styles’ other film Don’t Worry Darling had, and for that we should all be grateful.

If you find yourself still scratching your head about the film, here is an in-depth explainer of what the plot of My Policeman is about:

It’s a romantic drama based on a novel of the same name by Bethan Roberts

My Policeman was originally a romance novel by Bethan Roberts, which was published in 2012. The novel is set in Brighton 1957 and follows Tom, a policeman, and Marion, a schoolteacher who falls in love with him. Patrick, a museum curator, also falls in love with Tom. As you can tell, it’s quite the drama. The novel received a positive reception when it was published, and was described as “fluid and tender”.

The movie has been in the works since 2021

In February 2021, rumours began that a film adaptation of My Policeman was in the works and in April of that year, filming begun. According to IMDB, Lily James was originally cast in the film as Marion Taylor but later dropped out and was replaced by Emma Corrin. The synopsis for the film, follows a similar plot to the My Policeman book. The synopsis reads: “The arrival of Patrick into Marion and Tom’s home triggers the exploration of seismic events from 40 years previously.”

Besides Harry Styles, who else is in the film?

My Policeman has a fair share of familiar Hollywood faces, including Harry Styles. But besides the popstar, Emma Corrin and David Dawson also star in the movie. Emma Corrin is well known for their role in The Crown as Princess Diana. The film also stars Rupert Everett, Gina McKee and Linus Roache.

Where can I watch the film other than in cinemas?

The movie was released onto Amazon Prime on Friday 4th November 2022. On Friday 21st October, the movie was initially released into cinemas but is now available in both cinemas and on Amazon.