don't worry darling drama

Ok, so what is all the drama surrounding the Don’t Worry Darling film actually about?

Olivia Wilde has finally addressed the rumours of an alleged feud with Florence Pugh

The highly anticipated movie, Don’t Worry Darling, is finally set to drop in cinemas in just over a month’s time, and yet no one is talking about the plot of the movie, but instead about all the alleged drama happening off set between Harry Styles, Florence Pugh and Olivia Wilde.

Don’t Worry Darling has been in the works since August 2019 and has encountered numerous cast changes with Shia LaBeouf being replaced by Harry Styles and Dakota Johnson dropping out before filming began. During filming there were numerous set backs due to the coronavirus pandemic and the filming was finally completed in February last year.

Ever since promotion for the movie began a few months ago a number of people on TikTok have noticed a stark difference in the way director Olivia Wilde and the main star of the film, Florence Pugh, have promoted the movie. People are then taking this to mean there is a rift between the two women, with people tweeting saying Florence Pugh is “shading” Olivia Wilde, with the TikToks of the alleged beef receiving thousands of views.

So is there any truth to these TikTok rumours? This is everything we know about the supposed drama so far:

Florence leaves Olivia out of a post celebrating the end of filming

When filming wrapped in February last year Florence celebrated the moment by sharing a number of behind the scenes photos from set and thanked everyone for their involvement on her Instagram.

Whilst she mentions “director” in her long list of people who worked on the film, she doesn’t name Olivia or any of the cast personally.

Florence didn’t promote the film for ages

Olivia Wilde has gone heavy on the promotion for Don’t Worry Darling on her Instagram sharing pictures and videos of the movie and often complimenting the cast.

However, so far Florence’s promotion of the film on her social media has been limited. One TikToker @producerliz pointed out that when the trailer for Don’t Worry Darling was released Florence didn’t share it, but instead posted on her Instagram Story the poster for the Oppenheimer movie with Christopher Nolan she is currently working on.

Following Florence sharing the movie poster a number of people on Twitter started to question the decision behind it. One person said: “The way Florence Pugh has yet to post about Don’t Worry Darling even though there are two trailers out for it and yet she’ll post about every single other project that she’s doing right now” and another said: “I think it’s so funny how Florence Pugh had said NOTHING about Don’t Worry Darling and Olivia Wilde keeps trying to hype her up.”

Since then Florence has shared promotional material for Don’t Worry Darling and a source told Page Six the post for Oppenheimer was a pure coincidence.

They said: “I heard she was already scheduled to post [about Oppenheimer] that day for some specific reason, it had nothing to do with a response to Olivia.”

Florence ignores a post dedicated to her by Olivia

Shortly after Florence shared the poster for Oppenheimer, Olivia shared an image of herself from the set watching Florence act and captioned it: “Watching this woman work was such a fucking thrill! Cannot wait to show you more. @florencepugh.”

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Olivia Wilde (@oliviawilde)

However, people pointed out Florence never engaged with Olivia’s post.

Olivia denies pay dispute

In August earlier this year on TikTok a number of TikTokers shared an article by Showbiz Galore which suggested Florence Pugh was paid less than Harry Styles for Don’t Worry Darling, despite being the lead character in the film.

During her recent interview with Variety, Olivia Wilde addressed the rumours of a pay disparity and said as a woman in Hollywood herself she has had to fight for money in the past.

She said: “There has been a lot out there that I largely don’t pay attention to. But the absurdity of invented clickbait and subsequent reaction regarding a nonexistent pay disparity between our lead and supporting actors really upset me.

“I’m a woman who has been in this business for over 20 years, and it’s something that I have fought for myself and others, especially being a director. There is absolutely no validity to those claims.”

The sex argument

Throughout the promotion of Don’t Worry Darling Olivia Wilde has said how important the sex scenes are in the movie, calling them “integral” during her interview with Variety and described how they connect the audience to the characters.

Meanwhile, Florence Pugh said in her interview with Harper’s Bazaar she wasn’t happy when the sex scenes became a big focus of the reaction after the teaser trailer was released.

She said: “When it’s reduced to your sex scenes, or to watch the most famous man in the world go down on someone, it’s not why we do it. It’s not why I’m in this industry.

“Obviously, the nature of hiring the most famous pop star in the world, you’re going to have conversations like that. That’s just not what I’m going to be discussing because [this movie is] bigger and better than that. And the people who made it are bigger and better than that.”

The Harry Styles relationship

Many people on TikTok believe a lot of the alleged feud comes down to Olivia Wilde’s relationship with Harry Styles.

A source told Page Six, Florence was uncomfortable seeing Harry and Olivia get together on the set of the movie, as Olivia was said to still be in a relationship with her fiancé Jason Sudeikis.

However, this has never been confirmed and Jason and Olivia split in November 2020, and Olivia was first pictured with Harry in January 2021.

Olivia denies there’s a feud between the women

During the Venice Film Festival press conference for the movie Olivia was asked by a journalist: “Can you just clear the air and address whether there has been a falling out there and if so why, because it’s something that people are discussing?”

Olivia responded saying they hadn’t fallen out and she was still so excited to have Florence attend the premiere, as she was unable to make the press conference due to filming commitments for the second Dune movie and her travel schedule meaning she would land after the press conference took place.

She said: “Florence is a force and we are so grateful that she is able to make it tonight despite being in production on Dune.

“I know as a director how disruptive it is to lose an actor even for a day so I’m very grateful to her and Denis Villeneuve for helping us – we’re really thrilled we’ll get to celebrate her work tonight.

“I can’t say enough how honoured I am to have her as our lead. She’s amazing in the film and as for all the endless tabloid gossip and all the noise out there, I mean, the internet feeds itself. I don’t feel the need to contribute, I think it’s sufficiently well nourished.”