Married at First Sight UK’s George denies allegations of abuse before starring on the show

Channel 4 said MAFS UK contestants are subject to the ‘most detailed police checks a production is able to undertake’

Married at First Sight UK contestant George Roberts has denied allegations of emotional abuse by three former ex-girlfriends. Fans saw George wed former Ms Great Britain, April Banbury, and the two seem to be going from strength to strength on the show. However, three of George’s former girlfriends have claimed they made police complaints about the father of three after learning about his appearance on the show.

According to The Sun, George’s ex-girlfriends allegedly made independent complaints to the police about his alleged “obsessive”, “manipulative” and “abusive” behaviour. The women were said to be left “horrified” after seeing George in adverts and trailers for the dating show and they claim their worries were ignored by Channel 4.

One of the ex partners said: “I’m so shocked to see he has been given a platform on a TV show. I messaged Married at First Sight. I said I reported him to the police. They asked for additional information which I gave and I never heard anything further.” The two other exes also claim they contacted Married at First Sight and Channel 4. Each of the women allegedly told the police George had “love-bombed” them by giving them tons of gifts and affection before he became “controlling”.

A spokesperson for George said: “George categorically denies these allegations. As a father of daughters he finds these accusations deeply upsetting and does not condone abuse nor behaves in that way. These allegations were never brought to his attention, investigated or taken further by the police for good reason as they are simply not true.”

Channel 4, which runs E4, claims rigorous checks are made on the contestants before they star on the show. A spokesperson said: “We work incredibly closely with our production partners to ensure all Married at First Sight UK contributors are subject to rigorous background and psychological checks, including the most detailed police checks a production is able to undertake. Any allegations of this nature are taken extremely seriously.”

For all the latest reality TV news and gossip, like The Holy Church of Love Island on Facebook