‘I’ve had no support’: BTEC students still waiting for grades four days after results day

‘If this was A-Levels more would have been done and faster’

Thousands of BTEC students are still waiting for their results to find out if they have got their place at university, more than four days after their results were supposed to be announced.

Approximately 2,000 students are still in the dark, as they desperately refresh the UCAS website and call their universities and colleges to find out what they can do.

The BTEC results were supposed to be released last Thursday at 9am, the same day as A-Level results day.

BTEC exam board, Pearson has apologised for the delay and said the delay is only affecting a “very small percentage” of students.

It said it is working with schools and colleges “around the clock to resolve any remaining issues” and urged any students still waiting for their results to call its team on 0345 618 0440.

However, many parents and students have taken to Twitter to vent their frustration at not being able to speak to anybody at Pearson.

18-year-old student, Kenna told The Tab she’d contacted Pearson “at least five times” since Thursday and she received no answer until she repeatedly commented under their posts on social media.

She described being “extremely stressed and worried”. She said: “This is clearly affecting my next step in life and with no support it’s even more difficult.”

“If this was A-Level, more would have been done and faster. In my opinion BTEC is always disadvantaged.”

A spokesperson for UCAS said universities are used to dealing with not all results being announced on results day.

“UCAS advises that universities hold offers until 7 September, so any student that has yet to receive their qualification results has time to meet this,’ it said.

However, for Kenna who is hoping to study business and management at the University of York, this two-week deadline has left her feeling “extremely stressed and worried.”

“I’ve had planned where to apply since last year. Universities only giving me two weeks to give them my grades which I don’t have makes it more difficult.”

For students who don’t have an offer to university, the situation is more grim. Clearing remains open until 18th October, however a large quantity of places are released on results day and are then immediately filled up by students who failed to make their predicted grades.

As each day passes since results day, the number of places among the most in demand Clearing courses falls.

NUS Vice-President for Further Education, Bernie Savage said it is “completely unacceptable” that students could “miss out on a place at college or university through no fault of their own”.

He said: “All stakeholders, including exam boards, Ofqual and education providers, need to act now to ensure these students get their results as soon as possible, and that they can still pursue their preferred option if they get the required grades.”

The shadow education minister has called out the government for their part in the delay. Toby Perkins MP asked in a tweet: “When did the government know?” and “What are the government doing?”

The Department of Education is yet to issue a statement, however current education secretary James Cleverly said: “Students should be reassured that UCAS has asked universities to hold places for students in this position. Any student holding an offer who is worried should contact their university for advice.”

A spokesperson for Pearson said: “We are very sorry that some students are still waiting for their results. BTECs are a modular qualification and in order for us to award an overall result, we require grades to be provided for each unit and a claim made to receive the qualification.

“We are grateful to the schools and colleges that are working with us around the clock to resolve any remaining issues. Our team delivered hundreds of results yesterday and today and we are here all weekend working to deliver more results as soon as we can.