A decade since it aired, what are the cast of My Mad Fat Diary up to now?

Sharon who played Rae is in the Barbie film!

We all remember My Mad Fat Diary, the show that chronicled the life, love and friendships of teenager Rae Earl as she navigated mental illness. The show connected with audiences through its capacity to balance irreverent humour with a sincere message about the value of friendships when struggling with mental health. Almost ten years since the young group of actors first appeared in the show in January 2013, here is what the cast of My Mad Fat Diary are up to now:

Sharon Rooney – Rae Earl

The actress who won a BAFTA for playing Rae Earl herself has continued to pursue an exciting and successful acting career, with her most recent endeavour being a role in Greta Gerwig’s star studded live-action film Barbie. Starring Margot Robbie alongside Ryan Gosling, the highly anticipated film is set to be released in July 2023.

In April, Sharon uploaded a photo of herself fully clad in pink to Instagram, alongside the caption: “Don’t let me ever hear you say that dreams don’t come true because they do!”

It is clear My Mad Fat Diary still occupies a special place in Rooney’s heart as she made an Instagram reel in October last year to a soundbite from the show, captioning it “a show like MMFD and a character like Rae is something that stays with you”.

Jodie Comer – Chloe

Now more commonly recognised as the heartthrob, Villanelle from Killing Eve, My Mad Fat Diary was Jodie’s debut television role in which she played Rae Earl’s best friend.

Her subsequent role in Killing Eve won her an Emmy in 2019, as well as a a BAFTA award in the same year. You could say she’s killing it.

More recently she has starred in a one person play, Prima Facie which has recently finished its run in London and is due to start on Broadway in 2023.

Nico Mirallegro – Finn Nelson

The actor who played Finn Nelson has also continued a career in drama, playing a role in Channel 5’s psychological thriller Penance in 2020, as well as joining the cast of BBC’s Our Girl in the same year.

More recently he has starred in the Alibi television series We Hunt Together.

Nico’s Instagram seems to tell us that he’s also enjoying his fair share of travelling.

Ciara Baxendale – Izzy

The actress for the ditzy and loveable Izzy has transitioned from an acting career to becoming a radio DJ, and now runs a show on Threads Radio called Factor 50. I wonder if her song choices would be any match for Rae’s harsh criticism.

Ciara also recently took part in a recording of the Audible original audiobook, Algorithms. Taking to Instagram, she wrote that she was “thrilled to be involved in this gorgeous project”.

Jordan Murphy – Chop

mad fat diary now

The actor for Chop seems to have stepped back from the public eye, with a private Instagram and no acting projects since My Mad Fat Diary.

Dan Cohen – Archie

mad fat diary now

The actor for the sweet and loveable Archie has taken a similar path to his castmate Jordan Murphy, not appearing in any additional acting roles since My Mad Fat Diary finished. He too is private on Instagram, giving his fans very limited access to see what he’s been up to.

However, we do know Dan went to Leeds University and studied English Literature. He is now an acting tutor for City Academy, which is a performing arts academy in London.

Four key cast members have now said they are not returning for Sex Education season four

What are the cast of Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging up to now?

12 years on, what are the cast of Victorious up to now?

Featured image credit via @sharon_rooney and @jodiemcomer