Just ‘get a better job’ if you’re struggling with the cost of living crisis, says Tory minister

What in the Molly-Mae Hague is going on here?

Tory Minister Rachel Maclean has advised people to “move to a better job” if they are struggling with the cost of living crisis.

In an interview with Sky News, Maclean said there needs to be a plan to grow the economy and make sure people are able to protect themselves better. Her solution for this is one Molly-Mae is going to love. Maclean suggested people can protect themselves from the cost of the living crisis by “taking on more hours or moving to a better paid job.”

Also bare in mind Maclean claimed over £213,000 in expenses last year, higher than the average £203,000 claimed by MPs.

Maclean said she wasn’t suggesting this would work for everyone. She added: “That’s why job centres exist, that’s why the work coaches exist – to work with individuals on their own individual situation. It may be right for some people, they may be able to access additional hours, but of course, it is not going to work for people who are already in three jobs.”

Naturally her comments on Twitter have sparked a lot of backlash, one person said her advice was the “most Tory solution ever”. Another person rounded up all of the Tory tips for getting through the cost of the living crisis.

Wendy Chamberlain, the Liberal Democrats’ work and pensions spokesperson said: “So the Conservatives’ answer to the cost-of-living emergency is that people should just earn more? This shows how out of touch they truly are.”

And of course what would a cost of living crisis chat be without talks of Molly-Mae. Someone on Twitter asked whether Maclean was actually the mother of Molly-Mae. Another person said: “Government ministers getting briefed by Molly-Mae there. Can you hear yourselves? Absolute scum of the earth, these people.”