priti patel

Misogyny will not be made a hate crime, Priti Patel says

She thinks it ‘wouldn’t be helpful’ for victims of abuse

Priti Patel says the government will oppose a bill amendment which would extend the definition of hate crimes to include misogyny.

According to the Home Office, the rejection is based on a Law Commission report which doubts the amendment will be “helpful” for victims of violence against women and girls (VAWG).

Yvette Cooper, the Shadow Home Secretary, branded the move “shameful,” and revealed Patel is also “refusing to establish specialist rape units… or minimum sentence for rape and stalking.”

priti patel misogyny

Photo via Unsplash

Patel believes the amendment will make prosecutions for sexual offences and abuse cases more difficult. The Law Commission allegedly states gender-based violence and aggravation is hard to prove, as the majority of these crimes happen behind closed doors.

Identities currently protected by the Crime and Disorder Act 1998 are race, religion, disability, sexuality and gender identity. It’s a hate crime to commit discrimination or violence against anyone based on these factors. Misogyny is not currently part of the legislation – despite the fact that VAWG has led to homelessness, suicide and long-lasting mental health issues among women.

met

Photo via Unsplash

The government are “carefully considering” making street harassment an offence. The legislation would see acts like cat-calling, verbal abuse, pestering and explicit comments criminalised.

According to The Guardian, the government has felt “forced” into concessions on VAWG over several months.

Speaking on the proposed street harassment legislation, Priti Patel said: “There are still too many criminals getting off with inadequate sentences for appalling acts of violence and sexual offences and still people who feel unsafe walking the streets or in their own homes.”