don't look up mistake

Netflix’s Don’t Look Up director explains why they left an editing mistake in the film

How did I miss this one?

Adam McKay, the director of Netflix’s Don’t Look Up, has explained why they decided to leave an editing mistake in the film after people began debating the authenticity of the clip.

Earlier this week a TikToker noticed a clip of the crew working on the movie complete with face masks and high vis jackets was included in the final cut of the film on Netflix. TikToker Ben Kohler shared the clip which occurs one hour and 28 minutes into the film and captioned it “oopsy”.

via Netflix

The TikTok has since been viewed over 1million times and thousands of people have been commenting arguing if it was intentionally left in due to the satirical nature of the movie. One user said Don’t Look Up is a “mockumentary” and the clip was meant to be there, whereas another argued the whole movie had strange editing.

Don’t Look Up tells the story of two scientists played by Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Lawrence who are trying to convince the world a deadly comet is headed towards Earth.

The film’s director Adam McKay shared an article by E! which referenced the editing mistake and said it was meant to be in the film.

He said they deliberately left a clip in of the crew working in the film in order to show the filming experience.

Adam wrote: “Good eye! We left that blip of the crew in on purpose to commemorate the strange filming experience.”

Don’t Look Up was released on 24th December and has since become number one on Netflix despite the varied reviews of the movie.

Don’t Look Up is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.