People are reporting there are no lateral flow tests left on the Gov website

New Covid rules start tomorrow

The Government website has run out of home lateral flow tests this morning – just one day before Covid testing rules change.

From tomorrow, daily lateral flow tests will replace self-isolation for vaccinated people who have come into contact with Covid. And from Wednesday, people will either need to display their NHS Covid pass or a negative lateral flow test to enter various high-capacity venues.

However, now anyone who tries to order a Covid home kit are being told there are no tests available.

The message says: “Sorry, there are no more home test kits available right now. Try again later. Or, you can go back and try to book a test site appointment instead.”

The Department of Health said that it couldn’t say when lateral flow tests would be available again.

It comes after the Prime Minister confirmed in a televised statement last night that he had ramped up the booster programme, as the deadline to offer all adults a third jab is being brought forward by a month.

The Army will be drafted in and clinic hours extended to help dose 18million people by January 1 – nearly a million a day – as the PM warned of a “tidal wave” of Covid that could overwhelm the NHS and cause “very many deaths”.

This morning, the NHS website was initially putting people in an online queue of more than 5,000 people shortly after 7am, saying that “lots of people are trying to book an appointment.”

Later, a message was displayed that the website was “currently experiencing technical difficulties”, and those trying to book a jab had to go back one webpage and try again.

By 10am, the size of the online queue reached 10,000 people but the website was still not allowing people to book their appointment as it came under intense demand.

Frustrations are growing and now people are taking to Twitter to complain.