The origin of the two guys on a bus meme and where it came from explained

Right, so just where did the two guys on a bus meme actually come from?

It’s been around since 2013!

Right now, Twitter has been completely taken over by a meme of two guys sat on a bus. The two passengers are both looking out the windows on either side of the bus, with one looking happy and the other looking really, really sad. You know the one I mean. It’s everywhere.

But where the hell did it come from? Who started this craze? Who are these two men and what is their backstory?! We need ANSWERS. So, before you drive yourself crazy, here’s exactly where the two guys on a bus meme started, how it became a viral meme and some of the best examples.

The origin of the two guys on a bus meme explained

So, here’s exactly where it came from. According to Know Your Meme, the original image is actually a cartoon from a professional artist. Brazilian cartoonist Genildo Ronchi uploaded the cartoon to his website in 2013, naming it: “As vezes só depende de nós”. This translates in English to “Sometimes it just depends on us.” The original version has text over the top of the image which reads: “Escolha o Lado Feliz da Viva!” or “Choose the Happy Side of Life!”

Now on his website, the cartoonist has been sharing posts and articles all about his art work going viral. It’s very, very wholesome.

Here are some of the best examples of the two guys on a bus meme:

The first time the meme went viral was on Reddit last month, when someone captioned it about taking a shit before leaving the house. So yeah, instantly the inspirational message behind this meme went downhill, but what did we expect here?

And now, it’s all over Twitter and Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CW1PnJ4qy2U/

And here’s a new, sad but cute, version:

If you’re looking for a blank canvas to make your own version of the meme, here you go: