Ranked: The most complained about Love Island moments to Ofcom ever

Let’s just say this year’s series got a lot

Every night when Love Island is on you’ll see memes about people reacting to the drama saying they’re getting straight on the phone to Ofcom. Someone disrespecting one of our girls? Ring ring Ofcom, it’s me again. But each year the watchdog has actually received loads of legitimate complaints, with some of the top complained about Love Island moments getting thousands of angry reactions.

As part of its Most Missed TV Moments campaign, the broadband and TV experts at Uswitch have crunched Ofcom’s complaints data over the last five years to reveal the most outrageous moments from the show. However, since then, two new moments from this year has topped the charts. So, here are the most complained about Love Island moments ever, ranked.

8. The Casa Amor 2019 fallout – 314 complaints

via ITV

In eighth is the drama surrounding Casa Amor 2019, which saw shocking moments between Amy and Curtis and Amber and Michael. Both girls were left single as Curtis and Michael tried to pursue other relationships in Casa Amor and with Amy in tears, fans were concerned over their welfare and behaviour.

7. A fake news headline about Paige and Finn in 2020 – 544 complaints

A ranking of Love Island most complained about moments to Ofcom of all time

via ITV

The most controversial moment of the winter series came in the headlines challenge. A headline was shown to the Islanders, which reported that Finn’s head had been turned in Casa Amor, and caused concern for Paige as he vowed he stayed faithful to her. Fans argued that it was misleading of the show to use this headline.

6. Georgia and Jack’s kiss in 2018 – 655 complaints

via ITV

Ah the notorious, did they or didn’t they kiss of 2018. While the kiss was hotly contested on the show as to who initiated it, Laura shouted at Georgia: “My best mate has gone behind my back and tried to snog the guy I’m coupled up with.” Viewers complained about the lies and it not being clarified to Laura what had actually happened (Georgia definitely kissed Jack, ICYMI).

5. Maura trying it on with Tommy in 2019 – 709 complaints

via ITV

Viewers didn’t take too well to Maura straddling Tommy Fury in 2019 with some calling it “sexual harassment”. Sitting on top of him, Maura attempts to go in for a kiss, only for Tommy to turn away.

4. Joe’s behaviour towards Lucie in 2019 – exact number unknown

via ITV

In 2019 viewers were shocked with how Joe was with Lucie, calling his behaviour “controlling”, notably when he said he was worried she wasn’t spending enough time with the other female Islanders. The moment, which even sparked Women’s Aid chief executive, Adina Claire to speak out about the “controlling behaviour” witnessed, reportedly triggered over 500 complaints alone, with more complaints also made for Lucie’s welfare. These issues combined awarded this moment second place on the list.

3. Dani Dyer being reduced to tears over Casa Amor – 2,525 complaints

via ITV

In 2018, Ofcom received over 2,500 complaints after Dani Dyer was brought to tears because she thought Jack Fincham was going to cheat on her with his ex in Casa Amor. People claimed the producers allowed her to believe Jack was going to cheat on her to stir up drama and upset her, despite him actually doing nothing wrong and sticking by her. This was previously the most complained about Love Island moment ever, and one of the most complained about TV moments of all time. 

2. Faye being mislead over Teddy’s Casa Amor behaviour this year – 5,000 complaints

via ITV

This year, Love Island has had a new record in the most complained about moments list. Firstly, Ofcom received 5,000 complaints because of how Faye was mislead over Teddy in Casa Amor. The main villa was sent a postcard, on which was a picture of Teddy kissing another girl. The picture was taken during a challenge, but Faye saw it and decided she wanted to find someone else and cracked on with Sam.

4,330 of those complaints were from people who said the postcard was “misleading and caused unnecessary distress”. More than 600 complaints were also made two days later, after the recoupling episode, as Teddy was left single.

1. Faye’s outburst at Teddy – 25,000 complaints

via ITV

But the Love Island moment with the most Ofcom complaints, far far out ahead, was when Faye screamed at Teddy when he returned from Casa Amor and the villa watched the clips back. Ofcom confirmed it had received 24,763 complaints. In the episode, Faye was seen shouting and swearing at Teddy after she saw a clip of him telling Clarisse he was sexually attracted to her. Following the scene many people on Twitter said it was uncomfortable to watch and questioned if Faye should be in the villa. A men’s domestic abuse charity released a statement calling her behaviour “unacceptable”.

Love Island 2021 continues on ITV2 at 9pm tonight. For all the latest Love Island news and gossip and for the best memes and quizzes, like The Holy Church of Love Island on Facebook.