Warning issued over blue Tesla pills amid drugs deaths in Bristol and London

More than 20 people have been hospitalised this weekend after taking drugs on nights out

Warnings have been issued over blue Tesla pills, after a weekend which saw two drug-related deaths and more than 20 people hospitalised in Bristol and London.

Bristol nightclub Motion posted a warning about the “extremely strong” pills, days before one person died and 20 people were hospitalised in the city after taking recreational drugs.

In London, a 21-year-old man died and two others were hospitalised on Friday night after taking drugs at The Cause nightclub in Tottenham. It is not known whether the deaths are linked to the same batch of drugs.

The Met Police has warned that anybody who had brought drugs in or near the club should throw them away.

Met Superintendent Simon Crick said: “There is no safe way of taking illegal drugs, however the incidents overnight have caused us particular concern. We urge anyone who bought drugs in or around the nightclub to dispose of these substances as soon as possible.

“An investigation is continuing to establish where these drugs have come from and I encourage anyone with information to contact police.”

Bristol’s director of public health, Christina Gray, said the incidents in the city seemed to be linked. “It remains to be seen how widespread the issue is, however the recent hospitalisation of several people and the death of a young person over one weekend, suggests that this is not an isolated incident,” she said.

However, a drugs charity has said the deaths were preventable, and that the government should be implement drug testing at clubs.

“First and foremost, our thoughts are with the loved ones of those who tragically died over the weekend in Bristol. The loss of any life, particularly young lives enjoying themselves after the stresses of the pandemic, is heartbreaking,” Anthony Lehane, head of communications at Volteface, told The Tab.

“These deaths were preventable and the government must implement strategies that reduce harm and save lives. The Department for Culture, Media and Sport recently recommended formal licensing of drug testing at festivals and clubs, and this must be implemented immediately.

“We also strongly urge the government to support drug checking services, such as the Loop, through adequate funding that will save lives.

“Drug checking are services whereby people can submit a sample of their substance, which is then tested for the product and dose, and a team then offers advice that will reduce harm. This advice includes lowering dosage, looking after friends, sipping water and staying hydrated. Policy change and sound drug advice will put an end to this recurring tragedy.”