Fear Street Netflix

Fear Street is the gory new horror trilogy on Netflix, and this is what it’s all about

Fear Street Part One: 1994 is out now and has 87 per cent on Rotten Tomatoes

Fear Street is the new horror trilogy on Netflix that has got horror fans absolutely hyped. Part One: 1994 is already out and is proving to be pure, 90s horror nostalgia.

The films are an adaptation of the book series of the same name by RL Stine – who’s most famous for writing the Goosebumps novels that we all grew up reading whilst cowering under the duvet in absolute TERROR.

Fear Street Part One: 1994 came out on July 2nd and is currently top five on Netflix here in the UK and in the US. The film’s had a lot of hype and build up as the first chapter of a horror trilogy directed by Leigh Janiak, and has been released to acclaim from critics and genre fans alike.

What’s Fear Street about?

Fear Street Part One: 1994 is set in a small town called Shadyside, and centres around a group of teens who are trying to work out why their town has been haunted for generations. The first instalment is a love letter to 90s horror – think Scream and I Know What You Did Last Summer.

Fear Street Netflix

The other two films in the trilogy will explore the backstory of the town and build the world. Part 2 is set in a summer camp in 1978 that’s being plagued by murders (Friday The 13th, anyone?) and then the final chapter is set right back in 1666. The characters from 1978 and 1994 do eventually come together to conclude the horror story.

When are the other two parts of the trilogy out?

If you love Fear Street Part One: 1994, you’re in luck because Netflix isn’t making you wait very long.

The second and third films are out this Friday 9th July and then Friday 16th July respectively. It’s an exciting release strategy that makes the films feel episodic. Director Leigh Janiak said they filmed all three of the Fear Street films “over one crazy, bloody summer”.

Who’s in it?

The most recognisable faces in Fear Street Part One: 1994 on Netflix are Gillian Jacobs from Community and Uma Thurman’s daughter Maya Hawke – best known for her role as Robin in Stranger Things. Fellow Stranger Things alumni Sadie Sink who played Max on the show will star in Fear Street 1978 and 1666.

Fred Hechinger is also in the cast, who recently starred across from Amy Adams in The Woman in the Window.

Kiana Madeira, Olivia Scott Welch, Benjamin Flores Jr, Julia Rehwald also star.

Is it good and is it scary!?

So far, the trilogy has received critical acclaim. Fear Street Part One: 1994 has 87 per cent on Rotten Tomatoes, and it’s likely the next two films will receive similar praise when they drop on Netflix over the next two weeks.

The adaptations are a far scarier take on the source material. Like RL Stine’s other work Goosebumps, the original Fear Street books were written for a teen audience. However, the Netflix adaptations are far more gory. All three films in the trilogy have been rated an 18 in the UK, so brace yourself for blood, guts and terror!

Fear Street Part One: 1994 is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook. 

Recommended stories by this writer:

• If you love horror, you NEED to watch Black Summer on Netflix

• How long would you last in a horror film? Take this quiz to find out

Ok, so was Adam Demos wearing a prosthetic in THAT shower scene in Sex/Life?