In full: The letters sent from The Sons of Sam killer, as seen in the Netflix series

David Berkowitz is said to have sent letters to taunt police and the media

The latest true crime docuseries on Netflix is The Sons of Sam: A Descent Into Darkness, all about the crimes of serial killer David Berkowitz and journalist Maury Terry’s investigation into the theory Berkowitz didn’t act alone. One of the main parts of the investigation focused around a series of letters which were sent to police and the media, which were signed as being from The Sons of Sam killer.

During the time of the murders, the killer sent a number of letters to the NYPD and local New York media. These taunted the recipients and said he would continue committing his awful crimes. None of the letters are read in full during the Netflix series, and only some show on screen for a few seconds. So, here’s what all The Sons of Sam letters actually said.

CW: The letters contain details which may be upsetting. 

David Berkowitz, The Sons of Sam, Netflix

via Netflix

The first of the known letters from The Sons of Sam killer was addressed to NYPD Captain, Joseph Borelli. It began: “I am deeply hurt by your calling me a wemon hater. I am not. But I am a monster. I am ‘The Son of Sam’ I am a little ‘brat’. When father Sam gets drunk he gets mean. He beats his family. Sometimes he ties me up to the back of the house. Other times he locks me in the garage. Sam loves to drink blood. Go out and kill commands Sam.”

It continued: “Behind our house some rest. Mostly young, r*ped and slaughtered – their blood drained – just bones now. Papa Sam keeps me locked in the attic, too. I can’t get out but I look out the attic window and watch the world go by. I feel like an outsider I am on a different wave length than everybody else – programmed to kill.

The Sons of Sam, letters, full, read, David Berkowitz, Netflix, true crime, documentary, The Sons of Sam: A Descent Into Darkness, Joseph Borelli

via Netflix

“However to stop me you must kill me. Attention all police: Shoot me first – shoot to kill or else keep out of my way or you will die! Papa Sam is old now. He needs some blood to preserve his youth. He has had too many heart attacks. ‘Ugh me hoot it ‘urts sonny boy.’ I miss my pretty princess most of all. She’s resting in our ladies house but I’ll see her soon.

“I am the ‘monster’ ‘beezlebub’ – the ‘chubby behemouth’. I love to hunt. Prowling the streets looking for fair game. Tasty meat the wemon of Queens are prettiest of all. I must be the water they drink. I live for the hunt – my life -blood for papa.

“Mr Borelli, sir I don’t want to kill anymore. No sir, no more. But I must honour thy father. I want to make love to the world. I love people. I don’t belong on earth. Return me to yahoos. To the people of Queens I love you and I want to wish all of you a Happy Easter. May god bless you in this life and in the next and for now I say goodbye and goodnight.

“Police let me haunt you with these words: I’ll be back! I’ll be back! To be interrogated as bang bang bang bang bang – ugh!! Yours in murder, Mr Monster.”

via Netflix

The second letter was sent to journalist Jimmy Breslin, who was working at the New York Daily News at the time of the murders. Controversially, Breslin decided to publish part of the letter, which began “hello from the gutters of NYC”, in the newspaper. “You must not forget Donna Lauria and you cannot let the people forget her either,” it read. “She was a very, very sweet girl but Sam’s a thirsty lad and he won’t let me stop killing until he gets his fill of blood.”

The Sons of Sam, letters, full, read, David Berkowitz, Netflix, true crime, documentary, The Sons of Sam: A Descent Into Darkness, Jimmy Breslin

via Netflix

In part of the letter which wasn’t published in the paper, it said: “Not knowing what the future holds I shall say farewell and I shall see you at the next job. Or, should I say you will see my handiwork at the next job? Remember Ms Lauria. Thank you. In their blood and from the gutter, Sam’s Creation .44”. The killer had also been dubbed the “.44 Caliber Killer” because of the gun he used in the attacks.

Also in this letter, the killer left some names to “help you along”. These were: The Duke of Death, The Wicked King Wicker, The Twenty Two Disciples of Hell and John Wheaties. Part of these clues led journalist Maury Terry to believe the letters were not all sent by David Berkowitz, and instead by the Carr brothers, as part of a cult.

letter, full, read, David Berkowitz, Netflix, true crime, documentary, Jimmy Breslin

via Netflix

In the two-page letter, David Berkowitz, or whoever the sender might have actually been, also requested Breslin inform all the detectives on the case that he wishes them the “best of luck” to “keep digging” and “think positive”. He concluded that upon his capture he would like to buy all the detectives a pair of shoes, “if I can get up the money”. The letter was signed off from “Son of Sam”.

Further letters were sent to the neighbour of The Sons of Sam killer, David Berkowitz, who was also a county police officer. Craig Glassman received a note saying he had been “chosen to die”, and that he was “Satan’s child and now he wants you by his side”. It added: “We will kill you. We will murder you” and closed with “die Craig, die”.

A further note was found in David Berkowitz’s car, when police search it. This one read: “Because Craig is Craig so must the streets be filled with Craig (death). And huge drops of lead poured down upon her head until she was dead. Yet the cats still come out at night to mate and the sparrows still sing in the morning.”

The Sons of Sam: A Descent Into Darkness is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.