BREAKING: Police confirm remains found in Kent are those of Sarah Everard

The Met police has also said that planned vigils for Everard will not be allowed due to Covid restrictions

Police have confirmed that the remains found in Kent earlier this week are those of Sarah Everard.

Durham graduate Everard went missing at around 9.30pm last Wednesday, March 3rd. She was walking home to Brixton from a friend’s house in Clapham.

Early on Wednesday morning, police officer Wayne Couzens was arrested at his home in Kent.

Detectives investigating the disappearance discovered human remains in Ashford, Kent on Wednesday night, but did not identify those until today.

Cressida Dick, the Met Police commissioner, said on Wednesday night: “The news today that it was a Metropolitan Police officer who was arrested on suspicion of Sarah’s murder has sent shockwaves and anger through the public and through the Met.

“I speak on behalf of all my colleagues when I say that we are utterly appalled at this dreadful, dreadful news.”

Couzens has since been taken to hospital with head injuries sustained while alone in his cell.

Vigils are being held for Everard this Saturday on Clapham Common, near where she disappeared, and in Oxford. Organisers for the vigil due to be held on Clapham Common have raised over £30,000 to pay for fines after police indicated the protest would be banned.