Taylor Swift fans are attacking Ginny and Georgia star over ‘deeply sexist’ joke

Antonia Gentry is getting hate after Taylor called out a part of the script earlier this week

Taylor Swift fans are coming for Ginny and Georgia actress Antonia Gentry over a joke in the final episode of the Netflix series.

Earlier this week, Taylor called out the show for having the “deeply sexist” and “lazy” joke in the script, when two of the characters are talking about relationships. Ginny Miller (Antonia Gentry) and her mother Georgia (Brianne Howey) are arguing and during the exchange Ginny says: “What do you care? You go through men faster than Taylor Swift.”

Rightly so, Taylor Swift wasn’t having it. She tweeted saying: “Hey Ginny & Georgia, 2010 called and it wants its lazy, deeply sexist joke back. How about we stop degrading hard working women by defining this horse shit as FuNnY. Also, @netflix after Miss Americana this outfit doesn’t look cute on you. Happy Women’s History Month I guess.”

But now, Taylor Swift fans are coming for Antonia Gentry over it, despite her having no control over the show’s script. This is the first major role for the 23-year-old actress. Now, her Instagram posts are being bombarded with hateful comments, all off the back of the joke in Ginny and Georgia.

Ginny and Georgia, joke, hate, Instagram, Taylor Swift, fans, comment, Antonia Gentry

via Instagram

via Instagram

via Instagram

via Instagram

via Instagram

Other comments suggest that she has received racial hate in some of the replies too. Since, lots of people have sent her comments of good wishes, and are supporting Antonia. One says: “I’m so sorry about all the Swifties that are attacking you, you don’t deserve this. I hope you have the most wonderful day”, another said: “y’all claim to be feminists but here you go harassing this woman for something that wasn’t even her fault” and another adds: “Stop attacking her over a script she did not write”.

Antonia hasn’t replied to any of the comments, but has instead been sharing important issues on her story. Yesterday, she shared a link to a story on Washington Post about 317 girls aged 12-16 who were abducted from a school in Nigeria on Friday. 

So just a PSA: Don’t send hate to Antonia. She doesn’t deserve any of the negative comments, and your thoughts about the joke aside, her performance in Ginny and Georgia was excellent.

Ginny and Georgia is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.