where does vanilla flavouring come from, vanilla, flavouring, flavour, scent, TikTok, viral, video, reactions

TikTok has just discovered where vanilla flavouring comes from and it is gross

It comes from the butt of a WHAT SORRY?!

On TikTok a video’s been going viral that asks people to film their reactions before and after they Google “where does vanilla flavouring come from” and seriously – it’s no wonder the results are so shocking.

TikTok user Sloowmoee posted the original video, which has now had over half a million views. In the video he drinks a vanilla latte, Googles the question then screams “no more vanilla!!!” and honestly, same.

Ok, so where does vanilla flavouring actually come from?

You might want to sit down for this one, because according to reports, a chemical compound used in vanilla flavouring and scents comes from beaver butts. No that isn’t a mistake, it actually does come from the butts of real life beavers.

Castoreum comes from a beaver’s castor sacs, which are found between the pelvis and base of the tail. Because of how close it is to the anal glands, the slimy brown substance is often mixed with gland secretions and urine. I’m already puking up.

Joanne Crawford, a wildlife ecologist at Southern Illinois University told National Geographic: “I lift up the animal’s tail. I’m like, ‘Get down there, and stick your nose near its bum.’ People think I’m nuts. I tell them, ‘Oh, but it’s beavers; it smells really good.'”

Beavers are said to use the brown slime to mark their territory. The musky, vanilla scent is attributed to a beaver’s diet of bark and leaves. Apparently getting the substance isn’t that easy, but people are willing to “milk” beavers because it tastes so good. I’m shocked and appalled.

Here are some of the best reactions of people on TikTok finding out where vanilla flavouring comes from

After being asked, TikTok is full of people recording their before and after reactions to finding out this shocking news.

*Throws out anything vanilla flavoured immediately*

For more of the best TikTok videos, trends and memes – follow The Holy Church of TikTok on Facebook.