Chris Watts’ other girlfriend is applying to change her name following Netflix doc

Nichol Kessinger hasn’t been seen in two years

Following the release of Netflix documentary American Murder: The Family Next Door, it’s been reported that Chris Watts’ other girlfriend Nichol Kessinger is in the process of changing her name.

32-year-old Nichol, who is believed to have been living in witness protection, has reportedly applied to change her name two years after giving evidence in the Watts’ case. She is said to have applied earlier this month for a name change in Jefferson County, Colorado. A hearing has been set for Thursday.

Kessinger was last formally heard of and seen in 2018, when she admitted to having an affair with Chris Watts’, who killed his pregnant wife Shanann and their two young daughters. Chris Watts is currently serving five life sentences with no chance of parole.

Nichol Kessinger, changing name, Chris Watts, girlfriend, mistress, now, witness protection, true crime, Netflix, American Murder, The Family Next Door

via Netflix

In the investigation into Chris Watts’ crimes, Nichol cooperated with the police. She took part in extensive interviews to share what she knew about Chris and his current situation, and gave over her phone to be inspected. It was found that on the night of the murders, Chris Watts and Nichol Kessinger shared a 111-minute-long phone call. The conversation ended at 23:19, around the time Shanann was originally supposed to have arrived home from her work trip – but the flight had been delayed.

Weld County District Attorney Michael Rourke said: “Nichol Kessinger turned out to have information that I can best describe as being a bombshell.”

It is thought that Kessinger ended her relationship with Watts when she found out what he had done. According to some Reddit sleuths, she began a relationship with a geologist named Jim Gutoski – but this is all just rumour.

It’s now said that due to the amount of information she provided police, Nichol is living under witness protection. According to reports, one source said: “She has received several threats, public shaming, and could be considered one of the ‘most hated women’ in America. She plans to start fresh with a new name, new town, and ultimately a new identity.”

via Netflix

She is thought to be living at a new address, presumably hundreds of miles away from Colorado. It was reported that Nichol Kessinger would eventually end up changing her name legally, due to her feeling unable to live a normal life after the case. The Netflix documentary has brought the case into the limelight again, and introduced the story to many who didn’t know about it before.

American Murder: The Family Next Door is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.