Netflix is being sued over the depiction of Sherlock in Enola Holmes

Henry Cavill responded saying ‘honestly, nothing surprises me anymore’

In recent times, it seems like Netflix has been sued a lot. But the latest bizarre reason people have taken up a lawsuit against the site is over the depiction of Sherlock Holmes in its new movie, Enola Holmes.

The Conan Doyle Estate, which owns the copyright for the last 10 Sherlock stories, is suing Netflix among other parties claiming copyright infringement and trademark violations. It says the 10 newest stories it owns are where Sherlock Holmes starts to become “warmer” and displays more emotions than in previous stories.

However, it claims that in the Enola Holmes movie Sherlock is beginning to show these less cold emotions, therefore is potentially infringing the Estate’s copyrighted stories.

Enola Holmes, Sherlock, lawsuit, sued, sue, Netflix, Henry Cavill, movie, film

via Netflix

The complaint reads: “After the stories that are now in the public domain, and before the Copyrighted Stories, the Great War happened. In World War I Conan Doyle lost his eldest son, Arthur Alleyne Kingsley. Four months later he lost his brother, Brigadier-general Innes Doyle.

“When Conan Doyle came back to Holmes in the Copyrighted Stories between 1923 and 1927, it was no longer enough that the Holmes character was the most brilliant rational and analytical mind. Holmes needed to be human. The character needed to develop human connection and empathy.”

via Netflix

When asked about the Enola Holmes lawsuit, Henry Cavill, who plays Sherlock in the Netflix movie, said: “I mean, honestly, I don’t have a take on it. It’s a character from a page which we worked out from the screenplay. The legal stuff is above my pay grade.”

He added: “Haha, honestly, nothing surprises me anymore.”

Same Henry, same.

Enola Holmes is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.