stop hate for profit

What is the Stop Hate For Profit campaign that celebs are taking part in today?

They’re boycotting the platforms all day

Instagram and Facebook are going to be a lot quieter today as many celebrities are boycotting the platforms to take part in the ‘Stop Hate For Profit’ campaign taking place this week.

Celebs like Kim Kardashian, Leonardo DiCaprio and Katy Perry will not be posting on either Instagram or Facebook today as they take part in a social media freeze against Facebook.

The “Stop Hate For Profit” campaign began earlier this year because it wants “Facebook to take common-sense steps to address the rampant racism, disinformation and hate on its platform.”

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFKvmvIgADq/

Kim announced yesterday that she will not be posting today because she cannot stay silent whilst the platforms allow “the spreading of hate, propoganda and misinformation” and urged her followers to also not post on Instagram and Facebook.

She wrote: “I love that I can connect directly with you through Instagram and Facebook, but I can’t sit by and stay silent while these platforms continue to allow the spreading of hate, propaganda and misinformation – created by groups to sow division and split America apart – only to take steps after people are killed.

“Misinformation shared on social media has a serious impact on our elections and undermines our democracy. Please join me tomorrow when I will be “freezing” my Instagram and FB account to tell Facebook to #StopHateForProfit. Link in bio for more info on how to preserve truth.”

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFKindeBuWf/

Demi Lovato, Orlando Bloom and Naomi Campbell also shared the same Instagram tile to their pages yesterday and will be taking part in the boycott.

The Stop Hate For Profit campaign is being run Anti-Defamation League, National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, and Color of Change and they want millions of people to take part in the freeze in order to make Facebook reconsider their “actions”.

Throughout the week the campaign is urging people to post different messages in order to call out Facebook.

The two main aims of the “Week of Action” are to “raise awareness of Facebook’s harmful impact on our society” and “demand Facebook enact critical changes to their product in advance of the U.S. election in November.”

For more information about the campaign and to sign the #stophateforprofit petition visit their website.

Featured image background credit: Stop Hate For Profit