Naya Rivera is presumed dead and police say her ‘body may never be found’

They’ve also released CCTV footage

Glee’s Naya Rivera is presumed dead after being reported missing on a boat trip in California. The emergency search teams have changed the effort to find her from “rescue” to a “recovery mission”.

Naya was reported missing on Wednesday afternoon after she went on a boat trip on Lake Piru with her four-year-old son. Her son was found sleeping in a boat and Naya was nowhere to be seen. Her son told police Naya had: “jumped into the water but didn’t come back up.”

A spokesperson for the Ventura County Sheriff said it could be a long time before her body is discovered.

They said: “If the body is entangled on something beneath the water, it may never come back up.

“There’s no way to really say. We’re putting our best foot forward to try and locate her, we’re using all the assets that are available to us including technology like sonar.”

The emergency search team involves over 100 people including multiple dive teams and two helicopters.

Police have now released CCTV footage which shows Naya and her son arriving at the lake car park at 1pm, where they go onto rent the boat.

Suspicions were raised on their whereabouts when the boat was not returned. Police have now released the emergency 911 call they received altering them to Naya’s disappearance.

In the phone call a woman said there was a little girl alone in a boat and her mum was nowhere to be found.

She said: “The emergency is we found a little girl in a boat all by herself and her mom is nowhere to be found.”

The woman and her husband were talking about Naya’s son who they had incorrectly identified as a girl.

Investigators at the Ventura County Sheriff’s Office believe Naya: “drowned in what appears to be a tragic accident.”