BREAKING: Police identify German prisoner as new suspect in Maddie McCann case

Police have released pictures and phone numbers in a plea for information

The Metropolitan Police have named a German prisoner as a new suspect in the disappearance of Madeleine McCann, 13 years after she went missing.

The man, who is currently in prison in Germany, is said to have lived a “transient lifestyle” and was in the vicinity of the Praia da Luz resort on the evening of McCann’s disappearance.

Police have released the telephone number of the man, who had a telephone conversation which ended an hour before McCann went missing.

The man, described as six foot, white and with short blonde – or possibly fair – hair was aged 30 at the time.

Police have released this image of the camper van, a 1980s VW T3 Westfalia, he is said to have lived in at the time:

Police also released a picture of a 1993 Jaguar XJR6 seen in Praia da Luz in 2007, which the suspect got re-registered in Germany under somebody else’s name the day after McCann disappeared.

“Our main line or inquiry is this suspect,” said Stuart Cundy, the Metropolitan Police’s deputy assistant commissioner.

“He is the main focus of our investigation, which is why we are making this appeal, to help us with that investigation, to prove or disprove his involvement.”

“We are not saying the person making that call is a suspect in this case. They are someone we need to identify as key person and we need to get in touch with them,”

“You may be aware of some of the things he has done. He may have confided in you about the disappearance of Madeleine. More than 13 years have passed and your loyalties may have changed. He is prison and we are conscious that some people may have been concern about contacting police in the past. Now is the time to come forward. We are appealing to you.”

Police also revealed the details of two phone numbers: +351 912 730 680 and +351 916 510 683. These were used by the man and a person calling him, respectively, on the night of McCann’s disappearance.

Kate and Gerry, Madeleine’s parents, said: “We welcome the appeal today regarding the disappearance of our daughter, Madeleine. We would like to thank the police forces involved for their continued efforts in the search for Madeleine.

“All we have ever wanted is to find her, uncover the truth and bring those responsible to justice. We will never give up hope of finding Madeleine alive but whatever the outcome may be, we need to know, as we need to find peace.”