Image may contain: Photo, Portrait, Photography, Hair, Performer, Smile, Human, Person, Face, Head

Jack Merritt’s dad calls out Boris Johnson for using his son’s death for political gain

He said: ‘Jack stood against everything you stand for’

Jack Merritt was one of the two people killed in the London Bridge terrorist attack on Friday. The 25-year-old was a Cambridge graduate and Course Coordinator for the University's Learning Together Programme. Jack was also a University of Manchester alumnus.

His father has publicly spoken out against Boris Johnson and said his response to the murders has been "beyond disgusting."

David Merritt, Jack's father has shared a tweet that the Tories have been using his son's death to promote "vile propaganda". He said the Prime Minister is trying to "make political gain from people's death in a terror incident."

He has also spoken out against newspapers like the Daily Mail and the Daily Express. David tweeted last night: "Don’t use my son’s death, and his and his colleague’s photos – to promote your vile propaganda. Jack stood against everything you stand for – hatred, division, ignorance."

Jack's friend wrote a tribute to him on Twitter which has been shared by thousands. She captioned it "My darling boy, Jack Merritt. My best friend, Jack Merritt. My heart is hurting and I can barely breathe."

Cambridge University's Vice-Chancellor, Professor Stephen Toope said last Friday:

"I am devastated to learn that today's hateful attack on London Bridge may have been targeted at staff, students and alumni attending an event organised by the University of Cambridge's Institute of Criminology. We are in touch with the Metropolitan Police, and awaiting further details of the victims. We mourn the dead and hope for a speedy recovery for the injured. Our thoughts are with all their families and friends."

A vigil was held at Great St Mary's Church, the University Church, at 11am on Saturday in memory of the victims of the attack.