24-year-old rejected from internship for having bikini pictures on Instagram

The company shared her bikini pictures on their social media, shaming her for posting them

| UPDATED @global global

Kickass Masterminds, a marketing company in America, has come under fire for shaming an internship applicant over a bikini picture on Instagram.

Emily Clow, 24, applied for a Marketing Coordinator role at the company. She didn’t get the job, but instead of giving her personal feedback, the company shared a screenshot of her in a bikini on their Instagram, publically telling everyone they wouldn’t hire her because of a photo she posted in June.

They wrote: “PSA (because I know some of you applicants are looking at this): do not share your social media with a potential employer if this is the kind of content on it. I am looking for a professional marketer, not a bikini model. Go on with your bad self and do whatever in private. But this is not doing you any favours in finding a professional job.”

According to Emily, she wasn’t following the company’s Instagram before they posted the picture. She only sent a CV, with no Facebook details or a headshot. She told Bustle: “I sent an email shortly after my first DM to the company saying how I recently applied to the Marketing Coordinator position.

“I attached my resume and cover letter for their convenience, acknowledged that they were going through applications, and said how I hoped to hear from them soon in regard to the position. At the end of the email, I stated, ‘PS — Please take down the picture of me from your Instagram story. Thank you for understanding.’”

After this, the company blocked her after wishing her “best of luck” on Instagram DMs.

Emily told Bustle: “I was shocked to see an employer I was intrigued by and hoping to at least interview with would shame me so publicly through their company Instagram. It took me a while to read the captions of the story fully.

“It made me feel as if they were judging my bikini pics and comparing it to my work ethic, which they hadn’t even discussed with me or past employers with at this time.”

She then shared her story on Twitter, saying: “I was objectified earlier today by a company because of a picture of me in a bikini. They claimed it made me an “unprofessional.” They screenshot the photo, posted it on their Insta story and called me out. I am still baffled that the company handled it in such a manner.”

After not getting any responses from Kickass Masterminds, Emily shared her screenshots to @sheratesdogs in hope that a larger account could help get the photo down.

Less than an hour later the tweet went viral and Kickass Masterminds turned their Instagram on private. Then an hour after that, their website went down for “scheduled maintenance.”