Image may contain: Man, Photo, Photography, Portrait, Smile, Beard, Human, Person, Face

Noughts and Crosses is being made into a TV series and Stormzy is in it

The drama is an adaptation of the Malorie Blackman novel

Stormzy has been cast for the new adaptation of Malorie Blackman’s novel, Noughts and Crosses on BBC One.

He will play a newspaper editor, Kolawale, which is a completely new character created just for the show, which is currently being filmed in South Africa.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bk2ggNyF68t

The drama is being aired on BBC One, and Stormzy has said it is a “dream come true” to be cast in the role. Here is everything we know about the new drama, Noughts and Crosses on BBC.

What is Noughts and Crosses on BBC about?

Noughts and Crosses on BBC One is based on the novel by Malorie Blackman, with the same name. The book is a dystopian novel, set in an alternate version of 21st century Britain. The world is divided by race, where white people and black people are segregated.

The races are divided into the “Noughts” and the “Crosses”, and the show and book follow Sephy, a member of the ruling black class, the “Crosses”, and her childhood friend Callum, a “Nought”, and member of the white underclass who were once slaves to the Crosses. Both of their lives are changed forever by the foundation of the Liberation Militia – a terrorist organisation devoted to ending the Cross supremacy.

The BBC’s synopsis says: “Against a background of prejudice, distrust and powerful rebellion mounting on the streets, a passionate romance builds between Sephy and Callum which will lead them both into terrible danger.”

Charlotte Moore, Director of BBC Content, said: “Noughts and Crosses is the definitive book for a young adult audience and the perfect fit for BBC1. Superb, high octane compulsive storytelling set within an alternative history that explores really relevant themes about race, privilege and how we treat each other.”

Who is in the cast list of Noughts and Crosses on BBC?

The two mains characters are played by Peaky Blinders actor Jack Rowan who is Callum, and newcomer Masali Baduza plays Sephy.

Image may contain: Noughts and Crosses on BBC, Noughts and Crosses, Stormzy, Noughts & Crosses, BBC One, drama, series, new, cast, date, spoilers, Clothing, Apparel, Man, Face, Person, Human

Stormzy in Noughts and Crosses

Stormzy has been cast as a newspaper editor called Kolawale, who wasn’t a character in the book. Stormzy says he’s “a diehard fan” of his “childhood hero” Malorie Blackman’s novels, and he called Noughts and Crosses an “important show”. As his role isn’t actually a character from the book, he will be a guest star in just one episode of the six-part series.

Alongside these, the full cast list is: Paterson Joseph (Johnson from Peep Show) as Sephy’s father, Helen Baxendale (Emily from Friends and Rachel from Cold Feet) and Ian Hart (Professor Quirrell from Harry Potter) will play Callum’s parents, while Josh Dylan (Young Bill from Mamma Mia!) will play his older brother. Shaun Dingwall (Pete Tyler from Doctor Who) also plays Liberation Militia leader and Bonnie Mbuli plays Sephy’s mother.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlVc6m8nRjJ

When is the Noughts and Crosses start date?

The official start date for the series has not yet been announced, but filming began late last year. The show will be aired on BBC One.

How many episodes will there be?

The drama is a six-part series, and each episode is an hour long.