Image may contain: Glass, Vase, Pottery, Potted Plant, Plant, Jar, Flora, Person, People, Human

Pictured: These are the Nottingham Trent students going to court for allegedly chanting ‘we hate the blacks’ in halls

Police arrested the students on campus last month

Last month, a fresher at Nottingham Trent filmed a group of students repeatedly chanting "we hate the blacks" outside her bedroom door in her halls of residence.

Rufaro Chisango, the only black student on her floor, shared the video filmed from inside a halls bedroom on Monday night, where the chanting was happening.

Two students Lauren Leigh, 18, and Joe Tivnan, 18, are now facing charges for racially or religiously aggravated harassment, following the incident.

They will appear before magistrates on the 24th May.

The Tab has obtained exclusive pictures of the pair.

Lauren Leigh is a first year student at Nottingham Trent from Solihull.

Image may contain: Bench, Vase, Pottery, Potted Plant, Plant, Jar, Flora, Bottle, Person, People, Human

Lauren Leigh, 18, student at Nottingham Trent University.

Joe Tivnan, is a first year Law student at Nottingham Trent University from Birmingham.

Image may contain: Person, People, Human

Joe Tivnan, 18, student at Nottingham Trent University.

A second man who was arrested in connection with the incident has been released and no further action will be taken against him.

Rufaro exposed the racist incident on Twitter last month, and tweeted alongside the video she uploaded: “Words cannot describe how sad this makes me feel, in this 2018 people think this is still acceptable.”

The university has suspended the two Nottingham Trent students pending inquiries.

Image may contain: Brick

Sandby Halls, the student accommodation in which the incident took place.

Nottingham Trent university issued a statement following the incident:

“We are shocked and appalled to see the video of racist chanting posted yesterday evening. This kind of vile behaviour will not be tolerated at Nottingham Trent University. Those suspected perpetrators have been suspended immediately pending a full investigation. We have contacted the student who made the complaint and are providing support to her and others affected. And we will be liaising with the police about this incident.

“We value being a diverse global community, with staff and students from across the world.

“We are also working with our accommodation partner to understand why the University was only alerted to this on Wednesday evening after this was reported to them in the very early hours of Tuesday.”

Rufaro was offered alternative accommodation at the university as a result.

Get the latest from The Tab Nottingham, straight in your WhatsApp DMs, here.