Campaigners say it should be illegal to make women wear heels to work

Over 150,000 people have signed a petition

Campaigners will today debate the issue of women being forced by their employers to wear high heels to work.

The activists are calling on the government to change the law around the issue, and will discuss it at today’s TUC Congress in Brighton.

The talks come after 150,000 people have signed a petition in support of Nicola Thorp, who objected to being told to wear high heels to work at accountancy firm PwC.

The 27-year-old was sent home from her job as a receptionist for wearing flat shoes, after being told she had to wear a shoe with a two to four inch heel.

At the time she complained the demand was discriminatory and told BBC London: “I said, ‘If you can give me a reason as to why wearing flats would impair me to do my job today, then fair enough’, but they couldn’t.

“I was expected to do a nine-hour shift on my feet escorting clients to meeting rooms. I said I just won’t be able to do that in heels.”

The Society of Chiropodists and Podiatrists are expected to speak at the TUC Congress in Brighton to explain the dangers of wearing inappropriate shoes to work. The TUC General Secretary Frances O’Grady said: “We need common sense when it comes to dress codes, not outdated sexist policies.

“It is ridiculous that so many employers still insist their female staff wear high heels and make-up in 2016.

“Regularly wearing high heels increases wear and tear on knee joints and can lead to back problems. They should be a choice, not a condition of the job.”