Jeremy Corbyn has won the Labour leadership

He beat Owen Smith with 62 per cent of the vote

Jeremy Corbyn will remain the leader of the Labour Party after a convincing victory over Owen Smith.

Corbyn won with 313,209 votes over Smith’s 193,229 – 61.8 per cent of the vote.

In his victory speech, Corbyn thanked Owen Smith, saying: “We are part of the same Labour family – and that is how it is going to continue to be.”

The result was announced at a special conference in Liverpool this morning, before the annual Labour conference begins tomorrow.

Smith launched his challenge soon after the EU Referendum, allegedly due to Corbyn’s “lacklustre” performance campaigning for Britain to stay.

The campaign has been marked with uproar, especially when Labour Party bureaucracy announced that anyone who joined after January 12th would not be allowed to vote – around 130,000 people.

Labour MP Neil Coyle commented on voter turnout this morning, namely the fact that a fifth of the party membership hadn’t voted.

Smith had already appeared to concede defeat in recent days, saying he wouldn’t “be serving in Jeremy’s Cabinet” – but making no reference to the prospect of his own.

Embarrassingly, Labour MP for Streatham Chuka Umunna was allegedly caught filming a concession speech for Smith yesterday, 19 hours before the results were announced.