Applications to join The York Tab’s editorial team are now OPEN

Applications close Sunday 30th April

Applications for The York Tab’s 2023/24 editorial team are now open!

The positions available are Editor-in-Chief, News Editor, Features Editor, Social Media Editor and TikTok Editor.

Applications from all students are welcome regardless of previous experience, year or degree, but you do have to attend the University of York or York St John. You’ll have training from experienced editors to get you up and running.

The deadline for applications is 23:59 Sunday 30th April 

You don’t need to have written for The York Tab before, but, as these are editorial roles, some experience would definitely help! Most of all, we are looking for somebody who is enthusiastic about all things York. We want someone with energy, charisma and all round vibes, everything else can come later.

So if you want to break the biggest news stories on campus, or create fun TikToks and memes for our socials, apply now!

Editor in Chief

As Editor in Chief, you’ll oversee the entire team of writers and lead the direction of our coverage.

You will be writing your own pieces throughout the year and will help the team in breaking the biggest stories on campus. You will also be in charge of ensuring all content, both written and social, is consistent with The York Tab’s standard of quality and style.

You will be the main link to The Tab HQ and be supported by our Assistant Editor at HQ in running The York Tab team.

The role is incredibly rewarding and a great experience to have in leading a large team in a fun and exciting environment. To fit this role, you should be friendly and supportive to new and existing writers, thorough in editing articles, and have a keen eye for the stories that will make an impact across campus.

News Editor

As News Editor, you’ll be responsible for making sure The York Tab continues to break the biggest and most exciting scoops across campus.

This role often involves needing to react to fast-paced and changing stories as they develop on the day. You need to be able to sniff out a good story when you see one and contact organisations and people for comment. You’ll work alongside the Editor-in-Chief to write and edit articles weekly.

You’ll be working on stories just like these:

York student found guilty of a public order offence after throwing eggs at King Charles

University of York Tories plan to host MP who has previously been pictured in blackface

Driving instructor who stalked York student has been jailed for breaking restraining order

Features Editor

As Features Editor, you’ll be in charge of writing and editing the most fun and ridiculous feature pieces.

You’ll be able to cover every aspect of student life from nightlife to fashion and food. There’s a lot of room to be creative in this role and we want someone who is fun, opinionated and knows what’s relevant to students.

Here’s which York Uni college the Winter Love Island cast would each belong to

12 reasons why Tang Hall is the best student area in York

Here are the best places in York to take a first date

Social Media Editor

As Social Media Editor you’ll have creative control over our Instagram, TikTok (alongside the TikTok Editor), Twitter, and Facebook which together have a combined following of over 20k.

You will have an eye for the latest trends, memes and aesthetics as well as coming up with creative TikTok ideas to help develop our video journalism. This role is suited to someone who loves the ins and outs of social media and wants to gain some real experience.

TikTok Editor

Our TikTok has really started to take off this year and we want someone to continue to grow the page and our followers. You need to think of creative ways to incorporate the latest TikTok trends and audio into relatable York content as well as launching our new video interview format.

If you think you’ve got what it takes and want to apply for any of the advertised roles, please fill out this Google form.

If you have any questions, please message our Instagram or contact our Editor, Emily Smith ([email protected]). Good luck!