York University libraries and YUSU venues close due to Covid-19 concerns

Along with other campus facilities

The university  of York announced today that all library buildings will be closed as of 5pm on Friday 20th March.

In a post on social media from the Uni Of  York Library account, it was stated that this ‘is unfortunately unavoidable: we must do all we can to protect the health and wellbeing of staff, students”.

The Fairhurst, Morell and Burton  buildings will remain open today until 5pm, but will close until the foreseeable future. Libraries at Kings Manor and York Minister are already closed. As staff do not know when the buildings will re-open they have made some changes to how loans and recalls will work and are looking into ways more resources can be made online. The library staff will also still remain available to provide any support.

On the Uni of York Library page, it says students will not be allowed to make requests for items on loan.

They also state that they are cancelling all current recalls, and students won’t be “charged for loans on their account past their due date.”

The library will also waive any fines incurred between “Monday 9 and Wednesday 18th March” and are asking library users “not to return any loans by post or in person.”

Alongside the library, YUSU have unfortunately announced that The Courtyard is now closed until further notice. The Kitchen @Alcuin will be remaining open but will close tomorrow at 3pm until further notice

Further updates on YUSU venues will be posted on the official YUSU social media accounts.

They also commented that “all our perishables will be donated to local food banks.”

Both York Sport Village and the York Sports Centre closed yesterday following government advice.

On the official page, the University of York state “many of our teams are continuing to keep campus running, including our 350 campus cleaners.”

To keep up to date with the University of York’s Covid-19 response and campus updates visit their page here.