York makes the top 20 in the Complete University Guide

Still holding on to our spot with the big boys

York has held on to its top 20 position in the latest university rankings published by the Complete University Guide.

The University of York has dropped two places from last year placing 19th alongside Edinburgh. This places us ahead of the likes of King’s College London, Nottingham, Manchester and Newcastle.

There’s no change at the top of the table, with Cambridge taking first place and Oxford in second. Durham, our varsity rivals, have dropped one place to sixth, and now sit behind St Andrews who round off the top five.

It’s a bad year for Bristol who have dropped a staggering nine places to occupy 24th place – so that’s a bittersweet note for all those who didn’t get their first choice of Bristol. At least York can still say we’re in the top twenty – it’s all about the margins.

The red rose of Lancaster take ninth spot which surely must be the result of a clerical error. However, we have the opportunity to show our prowess next weekend at Roses.

Manchester Met make the biggest climb by gaining 16 places to reach 53rd place, whereas our fellow Yorkshire ‘scholars’ at YSJ see a seven place drop for their institution, taking them outside the top 100.