Newcastle student dies in York

His family have paid tribute to the 21 year old

A Newcastle University student who died in York has been named as 21-year-old Robert Stephenson.

Ambulance crews were called just after 2.30am when Mr Stephenson was struck by a taxi on Micklegate, and was treated at the scene before being taken to York Hospital, but died a short time later.

Mr Stephenson was from Pickering, just outside York, a former Lady Lumley’s School pupil and third year Agriculture student at Newcastle University.

The family of the 21-year-old have today issued a statement telling of their grief.

“We are devastated at our loss and still trying to come to terms with it as a family. We’d like time to grieve privately and thank all our friends and family for their support and kind thoughts.”

Police say Mr Stephenson was struck by a Ford Mondeo taxi, and urge anyone who saw the incident to contact them, most importantly those who were inside the taxi at the time. His family are being supported by specially-trained officers.

North Yorkshire Police are appealing for anyone who witnessed the incident or have any information regarding the incident to call 101 and quote incident number 1210052322.