All The Goals In Gifs: No Purple Reign as Blues Beat ‘Boro

Blues see off Loughborough in 3-2 thriller, and we have the GIFs to prove it.

Oxford came out on top in a combative encounter at Iffley Road today as they took down Loughborough 2nds in a tight 3-2 win.

The Blues enjoyed the best of the early minutes, with Loughborough pinned back to the goal by an energetic and disruptive Oxford front three; after several good stops, they were beaten for the first time after 10 minutes when Matt Smith capitalised on a slip-up by a centre-back.

Oxford 1 – 0 Loughborough

The lead didn’t last long; just three minutes later, a deflected free kick was taken down well and stroked in by the Loughborough #7.

Oxford 1 – 1 Loughborough

Following the early action, the game settled down, and it took a little magic from Oxford to break the deadlock again after half a hour. Winning a free-kick on the edge of the box, a low cross from Brook Tozer was met with a perfect run off his market by Mike Essman, who struck it first-time and left the keeper on his back to give the Blues the advantage once more.

Oxford 2 – 1 Loughborough

Hopes of going into the half with the lead were unfortunately denied – a mazy run by Loughborough’s #11 was played off to #8, who took advantage of a backed-off Oxford defence to put in an effort from 30 yards out that dribbled just past the keeper’s grasp into the bottom corner.

Oxford 2 – 2 Loughborough

The sunshine after the break did nothing to cheer spirits on either side. A couple of good set-piece chances were mixed in with running battles between players on both sides. A particularly blatant dive by the Loughborough striker caused a tussle that saw several names taken down from both teams.

The Blues finally made their superiority count in the 60th minute. Getting on top of a decent low through ball, Matt Smith used his strength and skill to slip past two defenders for a cooly-placed second.

Oxford 3 – 2 Loughborough

Oxford had the upper hand from then on and could have had a man advantage; Smith was taken out by the keeper while through on goal, but the ref opted to settle for a yellow and a free kick instead.

Having found themselves unable to extend the lead, and in spite of a stellar back-four performance punctuated by an industrious showing by debutant Tom Hobkinson, it was a nervy end for the Blues, as Loughborough threw three men forward and were only stopped a couple of times by some great goal-line clearances by the Oxford back four.

With their first league win of the season on the board, eyes now turn to Nottingham Trent 1sts. The reigning BUCS Trophy holders will be looking to get things on track after an opening-week loss to a newly-promoted Coventry side.

Want to write stories, features, take photos or make videos for the Tab? We’d love to get you involved, email [email protected].