Inquests into the deaths of Nottingham stabbing victims set to open

Ian Coates, Barnaby Webber and Grace O’Malley-Kumar were fatally stabbed on June 13th

The inquests into the deaths of three people killed during major incidents in Nottingham are set to open.

University of Nottingham, first year students Grace O’Malley-Kumar and Barnaby Webber were fatally stabbed in the early hours of the morning on June 13th on Ilkeston Road. Police then found the body of school caretaker Ian Coates on Magdala Road after his van was allegedly stolen.

Valdo Calocane, 31, has been charged with three counts of murder as well as three counts of attempted murder after a van was allegedly driven at pedestrians.

Mairin Casey, a senior coroner for Nottinghamshire, will open the inquests  into the deaths of Ms O’Malley-Kumar, Mr Webber and Mr Coates  at Nottingham Coroner’s Court on Friday 7th July at 2pm, reports the Express. 

In the days following the attacks tributes poured in for the three victims of the attacks in the city centre. Barnaby and Grace were both described as ‘talented’ sports players. Barnaby played cricket for the University of Nottingham men’s cricket club. His family said how he was a “beautifully brilliant, bright young man with everything in life to look forward to.”

Grace played hockey for her university team as well as for Southgate in London and had made it into the England squad for her age. Grace was described as an “adored daughter and sister.”  by her family.

Ian Coates’ was said to be a “much loved colleague who always went the extra mile.” His son, Lee Coates spoke of his passion for fishing and his love for Nottingham forest saying: “He was a die hard Forest fan and an avid fisherman.

“You genuinely couldn’t find a nicer guy.”

Featured image via Twitter 

Trial date set for 2024 as Nottingham student attacks suspect appears in court

• Grace Kumar died after trying to save Barney from knifeman in Nottingham student attacks

• A man has been charged with murder following the Nottingham student attacks