Trial date set for 2024 as Nottingham student attacks suspect appears in court
Valdo Calocane is expected to enter his plea this September
A provisional trial date has been set for the man charged with the murders of three people who died in the attacks in Nottingham.
Valdo Calocane, 31, is accused of killing 19-year-old University of Nottingham students Barnaby Webber and Grace O’Malley-Kumar, and school caretaker Ian Coates, 65.
Calocane was not required to enter a plea at this stage and is instead expected to attend a plea hearing this September.
Calocane appeared in court yesterday and when asked to identify himself he replied: “My name is Adam Mendes.”
He stood in the dock wearing a grey T-shirt and grey jogging bottoms, flanked by security officers.
Calocane is also charged with three counts of attempted murder after three pedestrians, Wayne Birkett, Marcin Gawronski and Sharon Miller, were hit by a van.
Scheduling the trial date to 12th January 2024, the judge said the victims’ families had been “profoundly and devastatingly affected by the case.”
Peter Ratliff, prosecuting, said: “This is a complex and ongoing investigation with multiple lines of inquiry being pursued.”
Barnaby Webber and his friend Grace O’Malley-Kumar both died on Ilkeston Road in the early hours of the morning whilst returning home from a night out.
School caretaker Ian Coates, 65, was killed two miles away before the attacker is caused of stealing his van and attempting to run down three other people.
Calocane previously appeared at the Magistrate’s Court on Sunday and spoke only to give his name as Adam Mendes.
Featured image Nottinghamshire Police.