Newcastle Uni places higher than ever before in new worldwide university ranking

Rowan Atkinson would be proud x

Newcastle University has placed higher than ever before in new worldwide university ranking.

The QS World University Rankings were released this past Tuesday, seeing Newcastle rise 12 places from last year up to 110th globally and 19th in the UK.

The 1,499 eligible international institutions are judged on nine different categories, with this year introducing Sustainability, Employment Outcomes and International Research Network.

Newcastle scored highest in Sustainability, attaining an impressive score of 98.8 out of 100, ranking them 17th in the UK for this category.

Other highlights include Employer Reputation in which Newcastle scored 74.5, International Faculty Ratio which saw a score of 90, and most recently, the university’s commitment to international research, which saw Newcastle achieve 96.1.

Overall, Newcastle averaged a score of 58.6, almost triple Northumbria, which secures them a place in the top 20 UK universities.

The top three domestic spots were taken by Cambridge, Oxford and Imperial College London. Globally, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) topped the list.

For more information about the QS World University Rankings, click here

• Newcastle University climbs six places to top 30 in new UK uni league table

• Newcastle University lecturers set to strike for five days this month

• Newcastle Uni gives students ‘no detriment’ policy to tackle impact of marking boycott