Newcastle University lecturers set to strike for five days this month

The exact dates staff will be striking are June 23rd, 26th, 27th, 28th and 29th

Newcastle University lecturers and teaching staff who are members of the University and College Union (UCU) will be striking for five days later this month.

Strike action is scheduled for June 23rd, 26th, 27th, 28th and 29th.

UCU are pushing for significant pay rises to ease the effects of the cost of living crisis, on top of ending the use if insecure contracts, and are demanding that universities revoke cuts to pensions and restore benefits. This comes after significant disruptions affecting teaching in February and March, as well as last term across November.

The strikes are set to coincide with a nationwide marking boycott, in which saw the university implement a “no detriment approach” to mitigate the impacts of disruptions on students.

The UCU branch said it was frustrated that the university did not alter its position after a meeting with the university’s vice chancellor, Professor Chris Day.

In a statement, the union branch said: “Newcastle University UCU requested the meeting following joint statements between other UCU branches and their Vice Chancellors that called for a return to negotiation. The Vice Chancellor had responded swiftly and positively about such a meeting.

Newcastle University UCU had “hoped that such an initiative could contribute to the restoration of talks regarding the dispute. Unfortunately, the Vice Chancellor refused point-blank a joint statement including pay.”

The branch said it is “extremely disappointed”  at the Vice Chancellor and the Head of HR’s refusal to backtrack on disproportionate deductions or a joint statement that calls for a return to pay negotiations. The added: “Students and staff will suffer as a consequence.”

A spokesperson for the university said: “We are extremely disappointed by the ongoing industrial action and the impact and anxiety that it is causing for our students.

“Our priority as always is to minimise the impact on our students’ education and also the pressure on colleagues who are continuing to support them through this period of action.”

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.