Newcastle Uni student facing prison time for drink driving without licence and insurance

Xupeng Liu failed a breath sample and refused to provide a specimen of blood

A Newcastle University student is facing prison time after being pulled over by police.

Xupeng Liu, 27, was approached by police after they received a report that he was driving whilst intoxicated. He was found standing beside a vehicle by Strawberry Place, Newcastle City Centre, on February 15th, and appeared drunk when police arrived. Police also discovered him to have no driving licence or insurance, Chronicle Live reports.

Liu, of Blanford Square in Newcastle City Centre, was subsequently arrested after being hardly able to walk, the court heard. He was taken to Forth Banks Police Station where he provided an invalid breath test and later refused a blood test.

Liu now faces a possible prison sentence after pleading guilty to failing to provide a specimen of blood, driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence and driving without insurance.

Greg Flaxen, prosecuting at Newcastle Magistrates’ Court, said: “CCTV showed the suspect in a Mercedes pull up and stop for a couple of minutes on Strawberry Place.

“The defendant exits the vehicle and goes to talk to a friend. Officers pull up and arrest the defendant. When he’s arrested he’s stood outside the car. He tried to walk but could barely walk.”

Liu has no past convictions. Jack Lovell, defending, said: “He’s studying at Newcastle University and is being financed by his parents in China. He’s not working. It wasn’t a deliberate refusal, he did try to provide a breath sample.”

Magistrates decided a pre-sentence report was needed and adjourned the case until March 27th, when Liu will appear back at the court. He has been released on unconditional bail until then.

Featured image via Google Maps

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.