The UCU announces additional strike day for this month

There will be three days of strikes in the week commencing 13th March

The University and College Union (UCU) has announced that there will be an additional strike day in March which will involve both Newcastle and Northumbria Univeristy.

The additional day will be on Wednesday 15th March, whilst other strikes day for this month are on 16th, 17th, 20th, 21st and 22nd March.

The news was announced on the UCU website by General Secretary Jo Grant,

She said: “I’m pleased to say – that whilst Acas talks take place on a confidential basis, I can say that we are making progress across a range of subjects at Acas and will bring your more information on that as those talks come to a natural conclusion

“What you also saw last week was that the employer chose to put out their pay offer and make it clear that it is final and that universities can implement the initial element of that pay offer. We need to be absolutely crystal clear, this is not a pay offer that has been agreed with us as a union, or any of the other unions involved in the negotiations.

“But we aren’t gonna be phased wither. That is why in addition to the industrial action that you already have called on March 16, 17, 20, 21, 22, the Higher Education Committee have decided to call industrial action on March 15.”

She said the additional strike day as a way to “focus the employer’s mind as talks come to a conclusion this week and especially early next week.”

Read the full statement here.

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.