Third year wins Ultimate Edible Masterpiece national award for her satsuma artwork

Judges called it a ‘divine concept’

Priley Riley, a Fine Art third year, has won a national award for her edible satsuma recreation of Michelangelo’s ‘The Creation of Adam’.

Riley was crowned the winner of the Art Fund’s Ultimate Edible Masterpiece of 2015 after seeing off competition from across the UK.

The competition was part of the Art Fund’s Edible Masterpieces fund-raising initiative which raises money for UK galleries and museums by challenging the general public to create tasty creations inspired by famous works of art.

The winning entry

Judges included The Guardian’s Jonathan Jones; Rowley Leigh, restauranteur and journalist; and Frances Quinn, winner of the Great British Bake Off in 2013.

Jones, Leigh and Quinn deliberated for more than an hour over the entries – which varied from a surrealist homage made out of 500 marshmallows to a Taj Mahal constructed in chocolate.

Riley was praised for her imagination and “inspiring use of ingredients”.

Punny Frances Quinn thought it was “really thinking outside the fruit bowl”, while Jonathan Jones described it as a “divine concept”.

Riley told The Tab: “I was inspired to enter the competition because it’s art based and I liked that the entry fee would go to the Art Fund, which supports galleries and museums in the UK.

I’m not very good at cooking/ baking so I saw the food aspect of the competition as a fun challenge.

“I’ve never made art out of fruit before.”

Earlier this year, Priley’s creation ‘The Child Sculpture’ was unveiled outside Carillon Court as part of the centenary of Ladybird Books as well as the Loughborough in Bloom competition.