Ford re-appointed VP welfare and diversity

After White’s resignation, Ford nabs position on exec

Isobel Ford has been re-appointed VP of Welfare and Diversity for a second year running.

Following the recent resignation of Natasha White, the winning candidate in February’s Executive elections, interviews have been held to find a suitable alternative to fill the position. Ford’s appointment is the first example of a current executive member being reappointed to their role for a consecutive year.

White resigned earlier this month.

Ford was not alone in running for the vacancy and was competing against other strong candidates such as George Bollands who only narrowly missed out on the position against White in February and received 48% of the third round vote. Unlike the usual executive elections the new appointment was made without student input and was chosen by a panel of interviewers.

Ford told the Epinal:

“I am absolutely delighted to be reappointed as VP Welfare and Diversity. I am really looking forward to growing the section further next year and developing on current campaigns and creating new initiatives”.

Second place candidate in February’s elections George Bollands commented on the appointment by saying:

“I would like to acknowledge the brilliant work Izzy has done for this section of the Union over the last year and wish her the best of luck in future”.

Bollands went on to express his great disappointment in being unsuccessful in securing the role for a second time and added, “I do believe this appointment undermines the democratic spirit of Loughborough Students’ Union and am surprised at the decision that has been taken”.

He concluded by expressing his gratitude to “everyone who supported me in my campaign and to all those that took the time to vote for me, it was very much appreciated”.

This appointment could spark controversy amongst the student body as it has prevented other candidates from having the opportunity to make their own mark on the Welfare and Diversity role.