Lancaster UCU announces 11 extra days of strike action amid marking boycott

‘Industrial action and the prospect of strikes is likely to be a cause of concern for many students’

Lancaster UCU has announced 11 days of strike action to take place throughout the months of June and July.

The strike falls amid the current marking boycott.

The university emailed students earlier today to inform them of the strikes.

The dates are Monday 26th June to Friday 1st July; Saturday 15th July; and Tuesday 18th July to Friday 21st July.

This includes the run up to Lancaster University’s Open Day on Saturday 1st July.

In April, the UCU renewed its mandate for strike action, meaning that students could face up to six months of strikes, as well as the ongoing marking boycott. Staff are striking over pay and working conditions, as well as pensions.

The email sent out from the university stated, “Staff across the University are taking steps to make sure there is as little disruption for students as possible during this time, and that you continue to be supported.

“Please also be aware that not all staff are members of the staff union and not all members may choose to participate in industrial action, so the impact is likely to vary in different parts of the University.”

Lancaster UCU shared on Twitter: “Faced with an intransigent employer that refuses to acknowledge our concerns and those of students we have decided to take industrial action! We will back on the picket lines from the 26th of June to the 1st of July!”

Featured image via @lancasterucu on Twitter

Related articles recommended by this writer: