Exeter University calls off UCU strikes planned for the first week of term
Nightmare for those of you with 8:30ams x
Strike action planned for the first week of term at the University of Exeter has been called off.
Initially, strikes were to take place from Monday 25th to Friday 29th September across 140 UK universities over “low pay and working conditions”. This action had been planned following the marking and assessment boycott, which ended 6th September.
However, in an email to students, the university has said that an agreement has been reached, resulting in strike action now being cancelled. The email said: “Following discussions between the University and the Exeter UCU branch, we have reached an agreement which has resulted in the strike action planned for next week being called off.”
For those of you concerned about missing marks affected by MAB, the university has said: “We expect any remaining students who have been impacted by the UCU Marking and Assessment Boycott to have their marks as soon as possible.
“Your education and welfare are extremely important to us, and we are continuing to work at both a local and national level to encourage all parties to find a swift resolution to the current dispute.”
The period of industrial action is set to end on 30th September. With regards to the future, the university has said: “We hope that national talks will lead to an agreed resolution. We would like to acknowledge the constructive engagement with the Committee of the Exeter UCU throughout this challenging period.”