A vigil is being held on Monday for a first year Edinburgh student who ‘suddenly’ died

Law student Lucy Carroll ‘died suddenly’ on Wednesday this week

A vigil is being held on Monday for an Edinburgh student who “suddenly died” earlier this week.

Lucy Carroll, a first year law student at the University of Edinburgh, died this Wednesday morning, on 24th January.

The university named her in an email to the Law UG Community this afternoon and announced that a “gathering” will be held in her memory on Monday 29th January.

The vigil, hosted by the Chaplaincy team, will take place at 10am in the Gordon Aikman Lecture Theatre, at the start of the first year UG Critical Legal Thinking Lecture, and will be an opportunity for class mates to “share stories and memories” of Lucy. The memorial is also open to anyone else who wishes to attend.

Additionally, the Law School has set up a memorial book in G162 by the Law Library reception, for members of the community to leave a message or share their memories of Lucy which will then be passed onto her family.

The university initially sent an email on Wednesday 24th January, announcing that a student had “died suddenly” earlier that day and that they would follow up with further information.

The second email from the university read: “We are incredibly sad to be sending the tragic news that Lucy Carroll, a first year undergraduate student died on Wednesday morning.  Lucy will have been known to many of you. I’m sorry that this news is coming to you by email, however we felt it was important to let you know as soon as we were able.”

The university is offering support to anyone affected by this news, by way of their Student Advisors, and through the University Listening Service. The Student Counselling Service can also be contacted here. Samaritans can be contacted at any time on 116 123. You can also contact Anxiety UK on 03444 775 774, Mind on 0300 123 3393, and Calm (Campaign against living miserably) on 0800 58 58 58. 

Related articles recommended by this writer: