Stone of Destiny display damaged by environmental activists at Edinburgh Castle

Three people have been arrested in connection to the vandalism

The glass display case exhibiting The Stone of Destiny, housed at Edinburgh Castle, has been damaged by climate protestors belonging to activist group This is Rigged this afternoon.

The ancient artefact was used by Scotland’s monarchy for inaugurations of its kings and has played a part in ceremonies for centuries.

Three adults were arrested, as reported in an article by STV News earlier today, and a tweet posted by This is Rigged on X announced the names of two of those involved, who are students of Glasgow University, and said that they were “demanding action on the cost of living crisis”.

Reports state that police officers arrived at the castle at approximately 10:45am this Wednesday, on the 15th of November, where areas were quickly cordoned off to the public.

The Instagram post uploaded by This is Rigged on the arrests say the slogan painted on the display case before it was smashed read “IS TREASA TUATH NA TIGHEARNA” which translates to: “The people are mightier than a lord.”

In the same post, they launched two new demands, calling for supermarkets to “slash the prices of baby products” and for the Scottish government to “fully fund a community food hub per every 500 households.”

Another post goes on to say: “The current system is fundamentally broken and violent, and we resist and disrupt to create something better from the ashes.”

The stone itself has been used as a symbol for protestor causes before; on the 25th of December 1950, four University of Glasgow students took the stone from Westminster Abbey, where it had been moved during the Scottish Wars of Independence in 1296.

A Police Scotland spokesperson said: “Around 10.45am on Wednesday, 15 November, we were called to a report of a small protest within Edinburgh Castle.

“Officers attended and two women aged 20 and 24 years, and a 20-year-old man were arrested in connection with damage caused.

“Enquiries are ongoing.”

Cover image via Unsplash.

Related articles recommended by this writer: