Edinburgh students cycle 400 miles from Cock Lane to Dick Place raising £5,000 for Movember

Yes, those are real places

Eight Edinburgh University students have cycled an arduous 400 miles from London’s Cock Lane to Edinburgh’s Dick Place, raising £5,000 for the Movember cause – yes, those are real places.

The team, featuring students Alex Mutter and Mungo Toms, both 21, alongside peers Will Brown, 22, Calum Gundry, 25, and others, embarked on the journey drawing inspiration from a meme highlighting a UK road trip through suggestively named locations.

With a route stretching from the heart of London to the Scottish capital, the group faced not just physical but logistical challenges. From arranging the bikes in London to managing sustenance on the go, it was a test of endurance and coordination.

via SWNS

The peloton reached their destination on Sunday afternoon, 12th November, after 36 hours straight of cycling.

Alex, a Biomedical Sciences student, explained:

“We thought perfect for a Movember route so decided on Cock Lane to Dick Place to help raise awareness.

“Morale is high, it’s great, we’re this group of guys who supported and helped each other.”

During their training they completed a series of 200km rides and the team say they had to practicing drinking and eating while on the bike. The group even had a support team tracking them along the way and additional riders who dropped in along different parts of the route to help give the team a boost.

via SWNS

Mungo, a Computer Science student, shared insights into the journey’s blend of ultra-cycling challenge and camaraderie:

“Without the help we’d be really struggling – I think it’s a nice way to try and give back to other people who may be struggling.

“It’s a great escape from university pressures,” he said, emphasizing the joy of adventure and aiding those in need.

Previous Movember escapades for some team members included looping Arthur’s Seat and traversing the Scottish Borders. Yet, this year’s trek, spanning a whopping 625km, was pegged as their most challenging, with a goal od quintupling last year’s £3k fundraising achievement.

via SWNS

The ride, a blend of emotional highs and physical trials, saw the team witnessing two sunrises and sunsets, a testament to their relentless spirit. Alex described the journey’s culmination as “very emotional,” a sentiment echoed by his fellow riders.

Mungo touched on the hardships, particularly the freesing cold, but remained grateful for their support team, who he credited as the unsung heroes of their successful endeavour:

“Without them, it wouldn’t have happened,” he admitted.

As they rolled into Dick Place, the physical exhaustion paled in comparison to the sense of accomplishment and the nearly £5k raised for Movember, marking a new milestone in their university life.

All photos via SWNS.

Recommended related articles by this writer: