These are the events being held at Cardiff University to celebrate Black History Month

From book clubs to panels, here’s what you can expect to see this month on campus

To celebrate Black History Month, Cardiff University’s Students’ Union will be hosting lots of varied events.

The theme for Black History Month this year is “reclaiming narratives” to mark the significant shift towards recognising and correcting the narratives of Black history and culture and to showcase untold stories and heritage. The events will use this theme partly to educate and celebrate during October.

Cardiff’s Students’ Union has announced a series of events to celebrate the “achievements and contributions of Black people in Cardiff and around the world to promote inclusivity and strengthen our student community”.

The first event is the Black History Month – Book Clwb, which focuses on this year’s theme and has Tuesday and Friday sessions from 1pm in the Globe Room, in the SU. The Book Clwb started on the 1st of October and is scheduled to finish on the 1st of November.

Tuesday’s sessions will discuss Ta-Nehisi Coates’s “Between the World and Me”, which explores race in America through a personal narrative and historical reflection and the Friday sessions will focus on a collection of revolutionary essays that challenge societal norms and amplify marginalised voices.

Tickets for this event are free but hurry because there are only five sessions left if you want to attend.

Another event happening this week is Cardiff’s African Caribbean Society’s “Rep Your Flag” club night which is on the 17th October. The theme of the night is to represent your country by bringing either your flag or wearing your flag’s colours.

The event is starting at 10.30pm and is expected to finish around 3am, with last entry at midnight. Tickets for the club night are still available online or you can buy them at the door for £7.50 for non-members and £5 for society members.

The SU also has two other events scheduled before the end of the month with a Black History Month panel event on 24th October at 6.30pm, which will discuss how young black people can “reclaim the narrative”, with talks from the panellists on their lived experiences and an open-floor discussion.

The panel will be hosted by Shola Bold, the VP Heath and will have special guests such as Plamedi Santima, the owner and leader of AFJ (Dance) Cardiff, Sanjiv Vedi, the first Black president of the SU Welsh and Sheryl, the president of Black Girl Space

Tickets for this event are also free and there is time allocated for mingling and networking, as well as food and refreshments provided.

The final event arranged by the SU is the Mind the Gap card game, a ticket-free event which is being held in the John Percival building on 30th October from 2pm.

Led by one of the game’s creators, Dr Sarju Patel, Mind the Gap is a card game designed to encourage positive discussions and to build people’s confidence on topics such as race, gender and disability.